PLANO MANSION PARTY SENDS 6 TEENS TO THE HOSPITAL AFTER TAKING SYNTHETIC DRUGS
PLANO (CBSDFW.COM) – A party in Plano got out of hand early Tuesday as authorities were called and seven people had to be taken to the hospital, including a police officer. It happened at about 1:45 a.m. when police and paramedics responded to a home located along Silver Falls Court.
Authorities arrived and found several young adults who had taken drugs, thought to be synthetic in nature. Six of those people were transported to nearby hospitals. None of them are believed to be in life threatening condition. Officials have not released their names or exact ages, only saying that they were all in their late teens and early 20s.
An officer with the Plano Police Department was also taken to the hospital after he was allegedly punched in the face by one of the young people at the party who was under the influence of drugs. The officer suffered only minor injuries.
“What we hope, from the law enforcement side, is that these kids understand they got lucky,” said David Tilley with the Plano Police Department. “This could have turned out a lot worse than it did, and they need to learn from that experience and move forward and learn from that decision. This is not the route they want to go.”
There was at least one older adult in the home at the time of the party, but that person was sleeping in an upstairs room when officers arrived at the scene. Authorities have not yet said what charges will be coming for the person who assaulted the police officer, the six people who overdosed and whoever sold them the drugs.
Police added that there have been no previous calls made at this home, which the Collin County Tax Appraiser values at nearly $2.1 million. Narcotics detectives are now handling the case.
Legal Analysis: A case like this puts the home owners at risk for civil liability. When you as a homewoner are negligent in the supervision of minors at your home and damages are caused as a result, you can be found liable. In this situation, the homeowner's exposed themselves to potentially huge civil liability because of the 6 teens who were sent to the hospital after overdosing from taking drugs made available to them at this house.