Texas Motor Vehicle Traffic Crash Facts for 2015
Every Year around May, Texas Department of Transportation releases crash statistics for the prior year. Being a personal injury law firm, we are around injuries and death resulting from negligence fairly often. However, reading the statistics makes you realize just how dangerous driving can be, especially when drivers decide to distract themselves or drink alcohol. Below are the Traffic Crash statistics for 2015 in Texas.
- The Rate on texas Roadways for 2015 was 1.43 deaths per hundred million vehicles traveled.
- Texas experienced a decrease in the number of motor vehicle traffic fatalities. The 2015 death toll of 3,531 was a decrease of 0.14% from the 3,536 recorded in 2014.
- Fatalities in traffic crashes in rural areas of the state accounted for 54.52% of the state's traffic fatalities. There were 1,925 deaths in rural traffic crashes.
- Single vehicle, run-off the road crashes resulted in 1,255 deaths in 2015. This was 35.54% of all motor vehicle traffic deaths in 2015.
- In 2015 there were 807 people killed in crashes occurring in intersections or related to an intersection.
- There were 581 people killed in head-on crashes in 2015.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2015.
- There were 4 crashes that resulted in 6 o rmore fatalities in 2015.
- Saturday, September 26th was the deadliest day in 2015 with twenty-two (22) persons killed in traffic crashes. October was the deadliest month with 356 persons killed.
- Pedestrian fatalities totaled 550 in 2015. This was a 12.7% increase from 2014.
- In 2015, there were 960 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol. This accounted for 27% of the total number of people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- In 2015, there were 476 people killed in crashes involving distracted driving.
These facts are alarming to say the least. In 2015 there wasn't a single day in Texas where someone did not die from a traffic crash. Although, there was a decrease in traffic related deaths from 2014 to 2015, we need to work harder to further decrease this number. Even one death is too many.
Under the law, those loved ones who have experienced a death of someone close to them have rights. As personal injury lawyers, it is our job to work for you to help you use your rights to seek justice under the law. There is no amount of money that can ever get a loved one back or make up for the joy that they brought to those around them, but our firm will work hard to make sure the family is taken care of as much as possible. Call our office for a free consultation with our attorneys today, 817-831-6100.